We get so many requests for a sample of a good test, and we believe that this one shows a solid Canine Good Citizen performance. We’re giving the SmartyPup trainers and A+ for this outstanding CGC training.
Take a look at the test here:
COMMENTS FROM AKC CGC: Video: A Model CGC Test
From the trainers at SmartyPup in California comes a video of a dog taking a CGC test. We like this tape because it is a “clean pass” of the CGC test.
The video is about 7 minutes long and it is a great example for your students (or all of you AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy grads) who will be taking the CGC test.
We get so many requests for a sample of a good test and we believe this one shows a solid CGC performance.
We’re giving the SmartyPup trainers an A+ for this outstanding CGC training.
There are a few things we can nit-pick about the video, just so you know we noticed.
* The CGC stay requires the handler to walk to the end of a 20-ft. line, turn and return. You’ll notice that the dog in the video is not on a line. This is because when the trainer knows the dog AND the dog is in a fenced, safe, secure location, doing the stay with a leash only is acceptable.
* The attractive training area was a little small, so for video purposes, the camera couldn’t get far enough away for long distances. Make sure the stay is 20-ft.
* Ditto on the distance for meeting the distraction dog. The handlers should approach from about 15-ft. away. The CGC Guide says they shake hands, say a few words and move on. The dogs in the video exceeded the CGC requirements by sitting when the handlers stopped and had a chat.
* The distractions should be presented no closer than 5-ft. away. Again, in this test, this seemed to be related to the videotaping.
* No food during the test–at one point the handler looked like she was hiding food behind her back, but then she brought her hand forward and there was no food.
* We LOVED the bloopers at the end including the new CGC dog jumping into the lap of the person on the bench. The dog was well-trained and having fun.
Thanks again to everyone at SmartyPup!
Citizen Canine trainers, we’d all love to see your CGC and AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy videos. Some tapes of less than perfect performances would be great too!Thanks to everyone at SmartyPup!
Citizen Canine trainers, we’d love to see your CGC and AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy videos, both good and less than perfect. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.